• 10 cups water
• 1 (3-4 pound) chicken, cut into parts
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 pound okra, cut
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
• 1/2 cup flour
• 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
• 1 pound of crab legs
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 stalks celery, chopped
• 1 green bell pepper, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 bay leaf
• 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1 teaspoon dried basil
• 1 teaspoon file powder
1. Add water to large pot and bring chicken to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until chicken is tender (approximately one hour). Remove chicken and place in strainer, saving broth. Remove meat from bones.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add okra and cook until no longer sticky, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes; set aside.
3. Make a roux by heating 1/2 cup of oil in large skillet over medium-low heat. Slowly add 1/2 cup of flour, whisking together. Cook and stir the mixture, watching closely to avoid burning, until the roux is a rich chocolate brown color, 20 to 25 minutes.
4. Lower heat on roux and add onions, celery, garlic, bell pepper, Cajun seasoning, bay leaf, thyme, basil, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Pour in the reserved chicken broth, and beef sausage, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened, about 30 minutes.
5. Mix in the reserved chicken meat, okra, and crab and bring back to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the okra is tender and the flavors have blended, 30 to 40 minutes.
6. Add the shrimp and cook for another 6-8 minutes until done.
7. Spoon off any fat from surface of gumbo. Remove gumbo from heat and add file powder.
8. Serve over rice.